Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fall 2010 Update


"The Tempest" by John William Waterhouse
 Lots of stuff going on, and it's been forever since I've written. Let's bullet point!

Last Wednesday night was the Dallas screening of Carol Everett's documentary, Blood Money: The Business of Abortion. It was profoundly effective, moving, and important. I bought a copy of the DVD and plan to force-feed it to whoever will let me. (That's kind of an oxymoron, huh?)

Did a shift for 40 Days for Life the other night, and may attend the closing rally tomorrow night at Shiloh Worship Center in Garland. Carol Everett will be there as well.

It's Halloween! I'll be going to a party at the Delarosa's this evening, dressed as either as a grunge chick or Red Riding Hood, depending on which is easier.

Southwestern Women's Surgery Center in Dallas at Greenville and Royal, where Dr. Curtis Boyd commits abortions up to 24 weeks (about 6 months), has been open for one year this week. Prayer and action are needed to get this place closed.

I am thinking of going through training at Catholic Pro-Life Committee to either do sidewalk counseling or join the speaker's bureau. Haven't decided yet what I should do.

October is Respect Life Month, but it's also Breast Cancer Awareness month, which is ironic, to say the least. Since I shop at Tom Thumb, every time I check out, I get asked, "Would you like to donate a dollar to cure breast cancer?" And I say, "Is it Susan G. Komen?" And they say, "Yes!" And I say, "Absolutely not!" I am thinking about getting little cards printed up with the words pinkmoney.org /  Your heart's in the right place but your money isn't" and just handing one over whenever someone mentions Komen. It's easier than explaining that Komen gave $7.5 million to Planned Parenthood last year, and why that's antithetical to their mission of ending breast cancer.

If you would like to volunteer or have questions about the pro-life movement, the New Feminism, or just want to send me hate mail or large sums of money, you can reach me here.

I hope to be updating this more often from now on. I'm also going to be starting a new blog solely for my comedy writing. I kind of have a split personality: half funny/irreverent, half super duper serious. But this is healthy. We need to have both great joy and great gravity in our hearts, because some things naturally and rightly cause rejoicing, while others cause sorrow and anger. A healthy soul recognizes that the universe contains much of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment